Over the past couple of months I’ve heard a lot about StitchFix on other blogs and social media sites. After doing my research in the company seeking out any loophole I decided to give it a shot.
What is StitchFix?: StitchFix is an online personal stylist program. As the customer you begin by filling out a profile about yourself and your sizes on the StitchFix website. From this profile a team of stylists selects five unique pieces and sends them in the mail on a regular basis (the duration of which you can decide).
How does it work?: In order to receive your fix you must first complete a personal survey where you list details about your unique style and preferences and answer questions created to make your experience with StitchFix the best it can be. Next, you can schedule how often you’d like to receive your fix in the mail. I chose to not over commit to something I was unsure of so I chose the option of receiving my box once every other month.
How much does it cost?: There is a $20 stylist fee for each fix that ships to your home. That fee can be applied to any pieces that you decide to keep from that shipment. After that original $20 fee each time you only pay for what you want to purchase. If you choose to purchase all five pieces in the StitchFix box you receive a 25% off discount on your order.
What if I don’t like something?: The StitchFix company encourages you to try on every item. Anything that does not fit or that you don’t wish to purchase can be returned in a prepaid priority mail bag that is sent in each StitchFix at no cost to you. You have three days from the arrival of your box to complete the online checkout and resend any items you do not wish to keep. In order to checkout you must visit your account on their website and comment about each piece. If you choose not to keep something write why that piece was undesirable and that helps the stylists find better options in the future.
If you are interested in giving it a try yourself you can CLICK HERE to create your own account and begin filling out a profile. (Please use the hyperlink above as it helps me earn a little extra credit on my account as well. Thanks!)
What I found appealing about this particular company is that I had the power to communicate one-on-one with my stylist. I was able to request certain styles and I provided a link to my Pinterest board which gave my stylist more information about my personal style. She asked me questions, and we dialogued back and forth several times before she sent my first package.
My package arrived this Monday afternoon. I rushed home from work to find this beautiful and exciting package on my front porch:
As I began to unpack its contents my joy only increased. I received a card from my stylist which highlighted the pieces that she sent me as well as Styling Cards which showed multiple ways to wear each piece within the box.
Underneath all of the tips, cards, and receipts I found the clothing that the stylist picked especially for me. Here is a picture of each piece: (not everything fit me in the end so I’ll just show you the card for the pieces I did not purchase)
1. This cardigan was perfect for me. It is something that can easily dress up an outfit and be worn to school, but can also be paired with denim to create a casual look. I chose to purchase this piece because it is so versatile.
2. I absolutely, positively, 100% loved this sweater. It is an oversized style which is not something I own much of or would have picked for myself, but as soon as I put this on I fell in love. It’s another piece I can wear several different ways. The price was a little higher than I had hoped ($58), but I bit the bullet and purchased this one because I was so in love.
3. I had asked my stylist for a pair of patterned pants and she definitely delivered. The dilemma with the pants were that they did not fit. The pattern was flattering and adorable, but they didn’t quite fit me around the waist correctly. There was a lot of extra space in them and it ended up looking sloppy once I tried them on. This was disappointing, but at least I was able to send them back at no charge. I redid my measurements in my profile and asked my stylist to send another pair of a different size in my next StitchFix order. The sizing error was on my end NOT StitchFix’s.
4. When I got to the blouse I was astounded. Wow, does my stylist know me. In fact, she nailed it! The only problem: I actually have a top almost identical to this one that I bought last fall. Again, bummer, but at least this means that my stylist understands my preferences. I sent this blouse back, but appreciated the Styling Card which will help me when it comes to how to wear the top I already own.
5. Finally, I received a necklace by Zad: Melba Beaded Layered Necklace. I decided to pass on this necklace. It was cute and versatile, but I am actually drowning in jewelry and not really in need of another simple piece. If it had been more unique then I may have kept it.
So, my overall experience was great. I enjoyed seeing the styles and pieces that were selected for me. I did end up returning three of my five pieces, but probably would’ve kept the pants if they were in my size. All of the tips and blogs I’ve read online say that the experience only gets better the more that you use StitchFix, because the stylists take to heart the comments that you leave in the Checkout and they use those comments to select future pieces. I have chosen to continue with the company and I am looking forward to my next delivery in October. I would recommend StitchFix for anyone with a flexible budget, busy lifestyle that prevents them from being able to shop regularly, or the desire to makeover their wardrobe. For me, I can go through phases where I get stuck on certain styles and I decided to give it a chance in order to add some diversity for my closet. I love the features that allow communication between the customer and stylist. It made the experience a good one and one that I plan to repeat again.
If you have any specific questions about my experience ask away! I know many of my readers already have a service they use like StitchFix, but I strongly urge you to give this company a try. Once again, if you would like to check it out please CLICK HERE and use my link as referrals in this company can help to earn credit toward future orders.
The Ameri Brit Mom
*This post contain affiliate links. I may receive compensation as a result of this post.